Approximately 500,000 people visit the hospital every year due to pedestrian and bicycle accidents. Tragically, many of these accidents result in serious injuries or even death. Automobile drivers often pay little attention to bicyclists and pedestrians. If you have been injured in an accident while riding a bicycle or as a pedestrian, it is important to contact the Lake Worth bicycle accident or pedestrian accident attorneys at Bottari & Doyle to preserve your rights.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Lake Worth
Bicycle riders are often injured when automobile drivers:
- Do not check their blind spots
- Open car doors without checking to see who is in the bike lane
- Drive through stop signs
- Drive recklessly
- Drive under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Failing to see a bicyclist approaching an intersection
Lake Worth Bicycle Accidents and Insurance
The bicyclist's automobile insurance carrier will pay up to $10,000 in PIP benefits to treat the bicyclist's injuries. If the bicyclist does not have an automobile, then the at-fault party's insurance carrier is obligated to pay.
Third Party Claims
Negligence – An injured pedestrian or bicyclist may file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver due to the driver's negligence. Proving negligence requires the attorney to show:
- The driver owed a duty of care to bicyclists or pedestrians
- The driver breached the duty of care
- The breach caused the injuries
- Injuries occurred
Economic and Non-Economic Damages – A bicyclist or pedestrian who is injured due to another driver's negligence is entitled to recover both economic and non-economic damages.
- Economic damages include payment for current and future medical bills, loss of wages and loss of future earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages include payment for current and future pain and suffering due to the physical injuries and payment for any current and future mental anguish for any emotional suffering (anxiety, depression, loss of enjoyment of life.)
We will evaluate your claim at no cost to you. Contact the Lake Worth bicycle and pedestrian accident lawyers from Bottari & Doyle, at (561)-588-2781 to discuss your claim, or fill out our free claim evaluation form.