hit by drunk driver lawyer

Your Options After a Florida Drunk Driving Accident

Serious accidents on Florida roads can turn a routine drive into a catastrophic nightmare. Almost nothing is more infuriating than learning the driver who caused the accident was drunk. Yet, it happens time and time again. In fact, a Palm Beach County man was recently killed by an alleged drunk driver, and a Boca Raton man was just charged with DUI manslaughter after causing a wreck that left two dead north of Ocala. The list goes on, and if you've been hurt in a drunk driving accident, you deserve justice. You also deserve to be compensated for your losses.

What Should You Do If You've Been Hit by a Drunk Driver in Florida?

If you or a loved one has been injured or worse by a Florida drunk driver, there are certain steps you should follow right away:

  • Call the police if you haven't already
  • Notify your insurance provider of the accident
  • Get checked out by a doctor
  • Call your Florida car accident attorney

Even if you don't feel like your injury is serious enough to warrant a trip to the doctor, you should go anyway. Sometimes car accident injuries aren't immediately apparent, and delaying a medical examination could further aggravate the injury.

Before you communicate with the drunk driver or their insurance company, you should speak to an attorney. The other driver's insurance provider may try to get you to admit fault, but an experienced Florida auto accident attorney knows how to talk to the other party's insurance company so that your rights are protected.

Can I Sue After I'm Hit by a Drunk Driver in Florida?

When a drunk driver causes your car wreck, you are entitled to compensation for medical bills, income loss, and pain and suffering. You have legal rights against the drunk driver and their insurance provider. If the insurance company doesn't want to negotiate fairly with you, your attorney may advise you that a lawsuit is necessary. You may also be able to bring a lawsuit against the bar or restaurant that overserved the drunk driver.

How much money can I receive if I have been hit by a drunk driver in Florida? 

We hope that the person who hit you has an auto insurance liability policy.  We can help you to find the auto insurance policy.  A person who is hit by a drunk driver will receive more money from the drunk driver's insurance carrier than someone who was hit by a sober driver, assuming the injuries are the same.  This is because the insurance company does not want this case to go to trial.  The insurance company is highly incentivized to settle a case with a drunk driver, because they do not want a jury hearing that the driver was drunk.  A jury will very likely award substantially more money to a victim of a drunk driving accident injury than to someone who is not injured by a drunk driver. 

How Long Will I Wait to Receive Money for My Accident?

You can receive compensation as quickly as 48 hours after your accident. Each case is different, and the timeframe is dependent on several factors, such as the extent of your injuries, the number of responsible parties, and whether the insurance companies contest the determination of fault or the limits of the policies.

How can your law firm help me or a loved one? 

Our law firm will immediately begin working on your case to hold the drunk driver who hit you accountable for your injuries.  We will aggressively advocate for your interests by communicating with the insurance company for the drunk driver. We will find all available insurance policies to fight for the best possible monetary resolution for you and your family.  We can refer to you to doctors who specialize in treating accident victims so that you get the right medical treatment.  If your car has been totaled, we can help you to get full value for your car from the property damage insurance policy. 

Contact Our Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers

It is difficult for victims to know their next steps after being hurt in a car accident caused by a drunk driver. Our attorneys can help! Call us today at (561) 588-2781 for a free consultation, or contact us online to start building your case.  We represent clients throughout the entire state of Florida.