Did you happen to hit a vehicle and then flee the scene without waiting for law enforcement? Florida law requires that you wait at the scene for law enforcement to arrive if you hit a vehicle.  If you did not wait at the scene for a police officer, then you can be facing an arrest for leaving the scene of an accident. 

Should I turn myself in to the police for leaving the scene of an accident? 

My office receives many calls from people who are in this situation. You need a lawyer if the police have come to your door to question you, period. This is because leaving the scene of an accident is a crime. The crime of hit and run ranges from a 2nd degree misdemeanor to a 1st degree felony. It is a second degree misdemeanor if no one was hurt in the accident.  It is a felony if the accident caused injury to the person who you hit.   A third degree felony is punishable by up to five years in state prison.  A second degree felony is punishable by up to fifteen years in state prison.  A hit and run is a first degree felony, punishable by up to thirty years in state prison, if the person who you hit died in the accident.  Therefore, it is imperative that you consult with a criminal lawyer if you are being investigated by the police.  You do not want to give statements to the police without legal counsel, because anything that you say can be used against you in court. 

What if I have a warrant for my arrest for leaving the scene of an accident? 

A warrant for your arrest will allow the police to take you to jail.  We can try to keep you out of jail by filing a motion to lift the bench warrant for your arrest.  Our criminal attorney will go to court for you and ask the judge to cancel the warrant.  In most cases, the judge will agree to do so and this will prevent you from having to go to jail.

Resources: Florida Hit and Run Statute Leaving the Scene of an Accident

Florida Statute 316.061

Contact Bottari & Doyle, PA

If you have been arrested for hit and run, or are under investigation by the police, call our office to speak to an attorney at 561-588-2781 for a free consultation.  We represent clients in Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, West Palm Beach and surrounding areas.