Defense Lawyer for Serving or Selling Alcohol to a Minor in Florida

Posted by Daniel BottariJan 26, 20180 Comments

If you have been accused of giving Alcohol to minors, you need legal representation. It may not seem like a big deal, but the police do not see it that way. In the state of Florida, giving alcohol to a minor is a crime that can have significant penalties, and in some cases it can cause restaurants to lose their liquor licenses or pay expensive fines. If you've been charged with serving or selling alcohol to minors, speak to the experienced criminal defense attorneys at the Palm Beach law firm, Bottari & Doyle, to start building your defense.

Penalties for Serving Alcohol to a Person Under 21 in South Florida

A person who violates statute 562.11 commits a second degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 months of probation, 60 days in jail as a condition of probation, and a $500 fine. A person who violates the statute two or more times within 1 year after a prior conviction commits a first degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year of probation, one year in jail as a condition of probation, and a $1,000 fine.

Additionally, the court may order the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to suspend the driving privilege of anyone convicted of this crime.

Defenses for Serving Alcohol to a Person Under 21 in South Florida

Any person charged with violating statute 562.11 has a complete defense if, at the time the alcoholic beverage was sold, given, served or permitted to be served: The buyer or recipient falsely evidenced that he or she was 21 or older, or the appearance of the buyer or recipient was such that a prudent person would believe the buyer or recipient to be 21 of age or older, and the person carefully checked a driver's license, id card, or passport and acted in reliance upon the representation of the buyer or recipient.

Do I need a lawyer for Serving Alcohol to Minors in South Florida?

Yes. If you've been charged with selling or serving alcohol to minors, you should speak to a criminal defense lawyer immediately to learn more about your rights, possible defenses, and the complicated legal system. Don't make the mistake of representing yourself and don't give up too early – there may be a defense to your case that is being overlooked.

Contact Us

If you've been charged with Selling or Serving Alcohol to someone who is underage in Palm Beach, Broward, or Martin County, then contact the South Florida criminal defense attorneys at Bottari & Doyle for a free case evaluation.