You have probably seen the tremendous growth of electric scooters in South Florida cities like Fort Lauderdale. These electric scooters serve as a cheap and easy way to get around town. Unfortunately, they can also lead to injuries and even death when riders are struck by a motor vehicle. Most recently, Youtube sensation, Emily Hartridge, died at the young age of 35 while riding an electric scooter. With electric scooters on the rise, so too are electric scooter accidents in Florida.
What To Do After an Electric Scooter Accident in Fort Lauderdale
If you have been in an electric scooter accident in Fort Lauderdale, it's important to take certain steps to protect your interests in the event you decide to pursue a personal injury claim.
- Seek medical attention if you are injured in an electric scooter accident. Call 911 if the injury is serious. If you feel fine immediately after an electric scooter accident, but develop painful symptoms later on, see a doctor. Keep notes and documents for all medical services that you may require, including hospital bills, physical therapy, etc.
- Take photographs. It's particularly helpful to take pictures of your injuries, the scene of the accident, and any other important details. Cell phone images can be a crucial piece of evidence in your personal injury claim, so you should take as many pictures as you can in order to give the court an accurate view of what happened.
- Speak to witnesses at the accident scene. Gather contact information from as many witnesses as possible. Witness testimony can help your personal injury lawyer prove that the driver was at-fault in your electric scooter accident.
- Report the accident in the electric scooter app. There are several companies that are manufacturing electric scooters, including: Bird, Lime, Jump and Lyft. The top electric scooter companies in the Fort Lauderdale area are Bird, Lime, and Lyft. If you've been injured while riding a Bird, Lime, or Lyft scooter, report the accident in the app but be wary of signing any documents with the scooter company – they may be looking to get off the hook for liability if the scooter malfunctioned in any way that could cause an accident.
- Consult with a Fort Lauderdale scooter accident lawyer at Bottari & Doyle. When our accident attorneys go to work for you, we'll keep you informed at every step of the way in the legal process, we'll handle the insurance companies, we'll take care of the paperwork, and we'll negotiate on your behalf to ensure that you receive all the compensation you are deserved. We handle electric scooter accident injury cases on a contingency basis, which means we don't get paid unless you win.
Are electric scooter accidents covered under PIP Insurance in Florida?
There is currently very little regulation regarding electric scooters in Florida. If you were injured while riding an electric scooter, your Florida PIP insurance may or may not pay up to $10,000.00 of medical bills due to the uncertainty of whether the scooter constitutes a motor vehicle. Additionally, if you are not at fault in the accident, you may be entitled to receive financial compensation from the at-fault driver's insurance carrier in the form of paid future bills, hospital bills, loss of wages and compensation for pain and suffering. Common sense will tell us that when riding an electric scooter, the rider is at a serious risk of death due to the lack of protection of an enclosure such as an in a car or a truck.
Contact a Fort Lauderdale Scooter Accident Lawyer at Bottari & Doyle
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident while riding an electric scooter, contact the Fort Lauderdale scooter accident lawyers at Bottari & Doyle for a free consultation at 561-588-2781. There are no upfront fees, and we only get paid if you win.